If a group of children are getting a little out of hand, not paying attention, or being a bit 'full on' is it appropriate to make them do physical exercise - as in push-ups or run laps - as a result of the bad behaviour?
We do not offer official guidance on this but Sports Coach UK's line on this kind of is that this kind of behaviour management is always unacceptable because:
- It could constitute physical abuse or cause injury
- It is very difficult for a coach to be consistent and could lead to allegations of favouritism or "picking on" particular children
- It may involve punishing a child for something that they have no control over, for example lateness
- It sends a message that physical activity is a punishment, not something that is fun or to be enjoyed
So I think it makes sense for us to follow this also.
Alternative possible sanctions could be:
- Loss of activity
- Loss of part of an activity
- Time out away from the group
- Revoking previous rewards
- Sent home if serious